Education Property Tax

  • font size:A
  • A
  • A

Education taxes are not subject to control or review by the Village of Warner. Under Provincial legislation the Town is required to administer and collect the education tax on behalf of the Province for public and separate school boards.

Each year, the Alberta Government determines the total amount of revenue that will be required for education purposes through the property taxation system across the province.

The total assessment of all property in a municipality is used as the basis to calculate that municipality’s share of the total provincial amount. Every municipality’s share of the total provincial amount is called the education property tax requisition. Annually, the Province sends out these requisitions to all municipalities in the province.  The municipality is then required by Provincial legislation to collect the revenue required to pay the requisition through the property assessment and tax system.

Your property assessment is used to calculate your share of the revenue required to pay the requisition for Warner. This part of your total property tax bill is collected by the Village and sent to the Alberta Government. This is not additional revenue for the Town.

Who pays

All property owners in Warner, residential and non-residential, are required to pay education property taxes including those without children in school and senior citizens.

For more information visit: Government of Alberta Education Property Tax

Use of the education tax 
The following information is provided by the Government of Alberta: “Education property taxes support public and separate school students in grades 1 to 12. Education property taxes are pooled and then distributed to all Alberta school boards on an equal per-student basis. The majority of these funds are for instruction, including teacher salaries, textbooks, and other classroom resources.”